*Updated May 29, 2020
Doheny State Beach
Hours: 6:00 AM - 8:30PM
Parking lots at Doheny State Beach are fully open. Although the beach is open, visitors must abide by the following guidelines:
- Stay Local: Walk or bike into the beach. Do not drive to the beach.
- Keep It Moving: Keep walking, jogging, surfing, swimming, etc. No sitting. No sunbathing.
- Leave It at Home: No coolers, umbrellas, shade tents, barbecues or chairs.
- Stay Safer at 6 Feet: Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more. Gatherings, picnics and beach parties are not allowed. Visitors are being asked to leave if there are too many people at the beach or on trails to allow for the required physical distance.
- Stay Clean: Be prepared. Bring soap/ sanitizer and pack out all trash.
More information can be found on the State website.
Salt Creek Beach, Strands, Baby Beach and Capistrano Beach
Beaches to open to public 7 days a week, during standard County beach operating hours.
Permitted Activities (with appropriate social distancing)
- Walking, running, jogging, dog-walking (where permitted), and other non-stationary activities
- Swimming, stand up paddle boarding, surfing, bodyboarding, skim boarding, scuba, kayaking, outrigger, recreational boating, and other ocean activities
Temporarily non-permitted activities
- Sunbathing, sitting, sandcastle building, use of fire rings, and other stationary activities
- Volleyball and other high-touch group sporting activities
- Use of beach chairs, coolers, BBQs, tents, umbrellas, and other personal gear associated with stationary activities
- Placement of beach towels, blankets, etc. on beach
Parking lots at Strands Beach, Salt Creek, Baby Beach and Capistrano Beach are fully open; restrooms open with high-frequency sanitation protocols. County Park Rangers patrols for public education and monitoring. OC Lifeguards on duty at each site for ocean/life safety.
More information can be found on the OC Parks website.
Hours: 6:00 AM -10:00 PM
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to the State and/or County Health Orders, the following apply for use of this beach and tide pool area and are in effect until further notice:
1. Currently, allowable beach uses include:
- Standing to observe tide pools
2. Currently, prohibited uses include:
- Standing/stopping other than for tide pool observations
- Sitting or lying down
3. City Staff and Volunteers must wear face coverings.
4. Social distancing and face coverings are encouraged for all visitors.
5. Should social distancing not occur, the Order is for the City to close this beach to public use.
6. This protocol is subject to change based on pandemic conditions, and may include more restriction or elimination of all restrictions.
Beach Access for Persons with Disabilities
Salt Creek & Strands Beach
Parking lots at all beaches are now fully open. Please refer to the OC Parks Salt Creek Beach Parks Amenities web page for more details.
There is one accessible parking space on Selva Road near Strands Beach that is available on a first-come first-served basis.
Dana Point Harbor
The Dana Point Harbor Partners have made accessible parking available at the Village and Wharf Parking Lots. Placards or license plates must be displayed at all times when parking in these lots.
Doheny State Beach
Please refer to Park Rangers at the entrance station for details on accessibility for Doheny State Beach.