CITY HALL PUBLIC COUNTERS NOW OPEN - MODIFIED HOURS                                                                                                                                            COVID-19 UPDATES AND OPERATIONAL CHANGES   |   SUBSCRIBE TO THE CITY'S NEWSLETTER

Film Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is a Film, Video and Still-Photography Permit?

Film, Video and Still Photography Permits are discretionary requests to allow professional filming activities within the City. Film, Video and Still Photography Permits are required for all such activities except those for personal (non-commercial) use, the regular activities of the news media, and those conducted at and entirely with a studio. You may use the How to Apply (PDF) instruction sheet, for additional information.   

Applications for Film, Video and Still-Photography Permits shall be processed by Planning staff as a Temporary Site Development Permit (TSDP) and approved by the Director of Community Development. In approving the request, the Director must make specific findings that the proposed activity is consistent with City policy and regulations, and in doing so, will stipulate specific conditions of approval (e.g. duration of filming, hours of operation, etc.) which must be satisfied by the permit applicant.

How Do I Apply for a Film, Video and Still-Photography Permit?

Please complete and submit to Planning staff, a Film, Video and Still Photography Application Form (PDF)) as well as the Film Permit Application Rider (PDF).  Staff will review the application and promptly respond by letter (if appropriate) with a list of materials necessary to bring the application to a state of “completeness.” Once deemed complete, the application will be reviewed and decided by the Community Development Director.

Application Fee


Appeal Procedure

A decision by the Community Development Director regarding a Film, Video and Still Photography Permit may be appealed to the Planning Commission. The fee for such an appeal shall be $500.00. Please contact the Planning Division at (949) 248-3563 for specific appeal procedures.

Further Information

For questions regarding Film, Video and Still Photography Permits, please contact (949) 248-3524. 


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer