CITY HALL PUBLIC COUNTERS NOW OPEN - MODIFIED HOURS                                                                                                                                            COVID-19 UPDATES AND OPERATIONAL CHANGES   |   SUBSCRIBE TO THE CITY'S NEWSLETTER

Discretionary Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following are discretionary permits issued by the Planning Division in conjunction with review by other City departments/divisions. For questions regarding any of the listed entitlements, or to discuss a proposal or project presently undergoing review, call 949-248-3563; Staff planners are available to meet Monday – Thursday, 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM, and 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM on Fridays.


A preliminary map used whenever a parcel or a number of contiguous parcels of land is proposed to be subdivided for the purpose of creating five or more lots, five (5) or more condominium units, the conversion of five (5) or more existing dwelling units to a stock cooperative or a community apartment project containing five (5) or more apartment units.


A preliminary map used whenever a parcel or contiguous parcels of land is proposed to be subdivided for the purpose of creating less than five (5) lots, less than five (5) condominium units or a community apartment project containing less than five (5) apartment units.


A Coastal Development Permit (CDP) is a discretionary request for review of development plans for a proposed use, structure or activity located within the City's Coastal Zone (PDF) as established by the California Coastal Act and defined in the City’s Local Coastal Program (LCP). All development projects undertaken within the Coastal Zone require the approval of a CDP unless specifically exempted. For questions regarding CDPs, exemptions and/or general development standards within the Coastal Zone, please contact the Planning Division at 949-248-3563.


A discretionary entitlement which permits departure from the strict application of the development standards contained in this Code and pursuant to specific findings required by the California Government Code.


A Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is a request to allow a use which, while permitted under the use standards of a particular zoning district, may have potential to create adverse impacts on surrounding development. The permit is "conditional" in that specific restrictions, or conditions, are typically placed on the use to ensure that it will not adversely affect the vicinity and/or the City as a whole.


A Site Development Permit is a request for a detailed review of development plans for a proposed use, structure or activity.


A discretionary land use permit specifically for the entitlement of commercial wireless telecommunication antenna facilities within the City of Dana Point.


A Sign Program Permit (SPP) is a discretionary request to create a comprehensive program that couples new or relocated signage with improved structures and landscaping, such that they present an enhanced and ultimately unified architectural statement for a property. A SPP may be also be utilized to modify development standards for signs, but in no case shall a SPP authorize prohibited sign types or exceed the maximum allowable sign area for a site.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer