When is a permit required?
The City of Dana Point requires permits for almost all construction including bathroom and kitchen
renovations, deck and guardrail repairs and replacements, additions, alterations or otherwise
changing the structural components of the dwelling.
Work Exempt from Permits:
The following work is exempt from permits as outlined in Section 105.2 of the California Building
Code in effect and as amended by the City of Dana Point:
- One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar
uses and structures such as portable shade cloth structures, provided the floor area does not
exceed 120 square feet (11 m2). Such structures must comply with the setback and height
requirements of the City Zoning Ordinance and the Fire Code.
- Masonry or concrete fences not over 36 inches in height above lowest adjacent grade, and all
other fences not over 6 feet (1,829 mm) in height above lowest adjacent grade. *Exception:
Walls and fences less than six (6) feet in height which are required as a condition of
project approval are required to have permits.
- Oil derricks.
- Retaining walls that are not over 3 feet (314.25 mm) in height measured from the bottom of
footing to the top of wall unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and
the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
- Decks, platforms or similar structures, walkways, sidewalks and driveways not more than
30 inches (762mm) above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below, not
attached to the structure and are not part of an accessible route.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, and similar finish work that does not involve
electrical,mechanical or plumbing work.
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 18 inches
deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground. Note: The
electrical connection for a plug in or direct connect pump filter or heater does require a
permit and inspection.
- Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from
the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies.
- Non-fixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over
5 feet 9 inches in height.
- Radio and television antenna, and flagpoles not over twelve (12) feet in height
measured from grade.
Note: Unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for
the above exempted items. Specific requirements of some geographical areas of the city, such as bluff top
lots, flood plain properties, town center or areas where a previous land movement has been identified.