Science Night; Our Southern California Beaches: Past and Future
- Date: 02/12/2020 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
- Location: Dana Point Community Center
34052 Del Obispo St
Dana Point, California 92629
Keep exploring and learning at our Science Night events! Every 2nd Wednesday (except December) scientists, naturalists, and esteemed experts explore a range of topics regarding natural sciences and our environment.
How have our beaches developed and what is their future? This will be the topic of geology instructor John Wilkerson who last spoke to our group on the geology of coastal Orange County. He will be considering:
- Our retreating shoreline since the last Ice Age
- The modern day shoreline
- Interesting case histories:creation of Dana Harbor, Santa Monica Beach, coastal Orange County storm damage
- Our beaches in the future:
- Long term vs. short term erosion
- What can be done to save our beaches?
Mr. Wilkerson was a local natural history teacher for 30+ years, spending his summers as a Naturalist at the Olympic National Park. He currently leads geology tours at several OC Wilderness Parks and Crystal Cove State Park.
Dana Point Community Center
34052 Del Obispo St, Dana Point, CA 92629
For any questions, please contact DPnaturalresources@danapoint.org or (949) 248-3527.
Sign up for the e-mail list here.
If you have any suggestions for topics or speakers, please reply here.