To ensure that residential neighborhoods keep their residential character, the City of Dana Point has adopted an Ordinance which establishes standards for the conduct of garage or yard sales. The Ordinance will protect the residential character by ensuring that garage sales do not become overly burdensome upon the neighborhood with their sometimes associated traffic impacts, gross amounts of signage and noise.
Dana Point Ordinance #93-18 establishes standards for the conduct of garage or yard sales. The standards are designed to promote garage sales that do not negatively disturb the residential character of neighborhoods. The Ordinance stipulates the following:
- A garage or yard sale is a sale of up to two (2) consecutive days. For example, a garage sale held on Saturday and the Sunday following would be considered one (1) garage sale.
- A residential zoned parcel may have a maximum of four (4) garage or yard sales per calendar year.
- Garage or yard sales cannot be conducted within the public right-of-way except by approval of a Special Event Permit.
- Garage or yard sales are allowed from 7:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
- Garage or yard sale signage is subject to the City’s Sign Code. The Sign Code permits:
- A maximum number of four (4) signs, each no more than four (4) square feet.
- Signs cannot be placed in the public right-of-way. Also, placement of signs on light poles, signal poles, utility boxes is prohibited. Signs may be placed on private property only with the property owners permission.
- Signs shall not be posted more than one (1) day prior to the start of the garage or yard sale.
- Signs posted on public property/utility poles are subject to removal, and
- Signs shall be removed within one (1) hour after the garage or yard sale is over.
Garage or Yard Sale Advertising
In addition to signage, there are many newspapers which can place advertisements of a garage or yard sale. The following is a list of local newspapers that provide this service.
- Dana Point News (949) 454-7313
- The O.C. Register (949) 558-3311
- L.A. Times (714) 966-5600
- Sun Post (949) 492-5121 (ask for classified)
- Pennysaver (949) 582-6000
- Recycler (714) 449-2900
For additional information please contact the Community Development Department at (949) 248-3564 from 7:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Fridays. A Code Enforcement Officer is available to assist you on a walk-in basis, Monday through Friday, at the Community Development Services Counter, 33282 Street of the Golden Lantern, Suite 209, Dana Point.